Restoring the Washington Theater cannot happen without support from you. Volunteering or attend events is a great way to get out of the house and help us raise the curtain once again. If you would like to volunteer your school, church or other organization please email the Friends of the Washington Theater at email@example.com . We have volunteer days throughout the summer, to view the next volunteer day visit our Events Page. Washington Theater puts on many events throughout the year that raise money for the restoration project and also allows fun activities for everyone in Quincy.
As part of Quincy’s strategic goals for the future the goal of the Washington Theater commission is to bring the historic theater back to life as a vital modern multi-purpose entertainment hub while preserving the beauty and historical character that is the Washington Theater. To present and give access to the community while enhancing life in our community.
- The historic Washington Theater is a cornerstone for the development of Quincy’s downtown revitalization.
- The Washington will present and host professional entertainment as well as an opportunity for local organizations to call the Washington Theater their home.
- In working toward this goal, we need an Architectural plan which is slated to cost $100,000. Projected costs for the entire renovation are estimated to be between 5-8 million dollars, depending on the scope of the project. These costs are projected by Killis P. Almond, who has served as the professional theater architect during the initial feasibility studies. “The roots are deep in this community for the arts which receive strong support from the community.”
- This plan will reveal the intended use, design, calculation of costs, building process and other documentation needed to secure additional grants to advance the project to the next level. Once in hand, major fundraising efforts will begin. Nearly $700,000 dollars in grant monies have been obtained and spent on this project to date.
- The potential audience base of the newly restored Washington Theater is projected to be approximately 115,844 people. Once open and operational, the Washington Theater’s annual economic impact is estimated at $4,002,000.
- Core business options for the facility will include business rentals, use by local organizations who presently do not have permanent facilities, weddings and receptions and professional performances by music groups, comedians and classic independent movies, all needing modern professional facilities with a projected seating capacity of 1500.
- According to the feasibility study commissioned by the city and conducted by Janis Barlow and Associates, “The Washington Theater is a very well designed historic playhouse – arguably the best in the region.”
To view our next event, please see our Events Page. Thank you.
Send Donations to our mailing address
Friends of the Washington Theater
706 Maine Street, 3rd Floor
Quincy, Il. 62301
As a contributor to the Friends of the Washington Theater, you may require our Tax Exemption and 501 (c) (3) Notification documents for Income Tax purposes. For this please click here to download the Charitable Contributions Substantiation and Disclosure Requirements(IRS publication 1771). Documents of proof of our charitable organization status are also available upon request.